For the past five days, I have been taking a staycation.  A what you say?  Really?  You don’t know about staycations?  Stay-cations. Apparently, they’re all the rage right now, aren’t they?

Per wikipedia:

“A staycation is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within driving distance, sleeping in their own beds at night. They might make day trips to local tourist sites, swimming venues, or engage in fun activities such as horseback riding, paintball, hiking or visiting museums. Most of the time it involves dining out more frequently than usual. Staycations achieved popularity in the US during the financial crisis of 2007–2010.[1][2] Staycations also became a popular phenomenon in the UK in 2009 as a weak pound made overseas holidays significantly more expensive.[3]

Common activities of a staycation include use of the backyard pool, visits to local parks and museums, and attendance at local festivals and amusement parks. Some staycationers also like to follow a set of rules, such as setting a start and end date, planning ahead, and avoiding routine, with the goal of creating the feel of a traditional vacation.[4]

So, now that you know what a staycation is, I’m going to tell you a little bit about mine.  :)

It actually started late last week when my darling son and I installed our pool in the backyard.  Staycation-2Ok, so it’s not much to look at at this point, but hey, it’ll cool us off in the 90+ degree weather we’ve been having, right?  lol.  So it takes us two days to install the pool and get it filled up (as opposed to the 10-30 minutes that the box promised).






So during my staycation, I used the pool as much as I could.. sitting there with my headphones on, and either a nice cold beer or some wine (product) with me.

Staycation-4 Staycation-5

Saturday was a day of adventure.  I grabbed my passport and headed over to the (gasp!) WEST SIDE to pick up my friend Chris and try something new to both of us – Ethiopian food.  So we hit this tiny restaurant in a very small strip mall (where ALL of the traffic seemed to be going to the other restaurant, Penn Station) and proceeded to have a really good meal – all by ourselves.  lol.  I had a spiced beef dish called Awaze Tibs and it was DELICIOUS, as was Chris’ Chicken Tibs.  While I was aware that Ethiopian food is normally eaten without utensils, we both needed forks because there was just too much to eat with just the injera (Injera, the spongy bread used to eat this dish).  The service however was TERRIBLE so if I want Ethiopian food again, I’ll have to try a different restaurant.  A nice long coffee break at Starbucks followed before I finally crossed the border back to the East side.. 😉

On Sunday, I braved the torrential rains to drive ALL the way down to Florence, KY where had a date with this really great guy who took me to see a movie (Avengers – Age of Ultron) and then to a late dinner at O’Charley’s where we proceeded to close down the restaurant.  :)  It’s a good thing I was on my staycation because I didn’t get home till past my normal work-day curfew.  😉

Monday I slept in… REALLY slept in.  I think I finally got moving around 2:00 and even then, didn’t do much.  I DID manage to catch a really nice shot of a butterfly on my zinnias out front.  I puttered around the garden some, picking vegetables, pruning some of the flowers back and watering the gardens. Staycation-1


Oh, and on Monday, I TOTALLY got hooked on the X-Files (wikipedia), a show that I had never really had an interest in, but am finding really interesting. And spooky.  And creepy.  Made even creepier still because SOMEONE keeps texting me creepy pictures..  😐

Tuesday though was, by far, the BEST day of my staycation.  I started out by watching a few more episodes of the X-Files (told you, I’m hooked), then met that really great guy from Sunday for all-you-can-eat tacos at Don Pablos.  :)  Unfortunately “all you can eat” for me turned out to be three.  I ordered a fourth, and it’s still sitting in my fridge.  It’s probably really not any good anymore anyway though because it sat in the trunk of my car for 3 hours after lunch.

I’ll bet you’re asking WHY my taco sat in my trunk for 3 hours after lunch, right?  Well…said really great guy and I decided to hit the local CD exchange where he promised I could find used CDs and movies for as little as $1.00 each.  I haven’t really been buying CDs in the last few years – I’ve been working on my vinyl collection – but I figured, why not, I’ll take a look. I should be happy that I walked out of there only spending $15… lol.  Staycation-6

I could have spent a small fortune.  Looks like a return trip is in order (hopefully with said really great guy again..  😉  )



After the CD exchange we drove aimlessly around town trying to guess where we were, and looking at places where I might be able to get some great shots of.. well.. anything interesting.  Needless to say we found a lot of places!  More places to visit to put on my list.

As with a real vacation, the last day before you go back is always a rush to get everything done that you wanted to get done during the early part of your staycation, but didn’t.  So today I spent the day getting caught up on some paralegal association stuff – wait!   Did I mention I’m a paralegal?  I don’t think I did… well anyway, I am.  And happen to be the current president of our local paralegal association.  But that’s fodder for another day’s blog.  Anyway, I spent the day working on my presidential duties that I’ve been neglecting and watching MORE X-Files.  I have to remember to stop watching this at night though – I’ll never be able to sleep.. lol.

So tomorrow I go back to work for a very short week (YAY!) and I’m lucky enough to have the house to myself until Sunday afternoon, so even though my staycation is ending, it’ll still be quiet for a few more days.  My plans?  Take a guess…






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *